August 25, 2015
Cooler weather will slowly begin to make it’s way into the forecast, and cooling your home will soon turn into heating your home.
As the season begins to change you should take some time to rest your programmable thermostat – after all, using it correctly saves the average home up to $180 each year!
Here is a quick reference guide from EnergyStar.gov on heating and cooling your home efficiently:
In addition to programming your thermostat for optimal heating & cooling, here are some easy tips from EnergyStar.gov to get the greatest benefit from your programmable thermostat:
- Install your thermostat away from heating or cooling registers, appliances, lighting, doorways, fireplaces, skylights and windows, and areas that receive direct sunlight or drafts. Interior walls are best.
- Set the “hold” button at a constant energy-saving temperature when going away for the weekend or on vacation.
- Resist the urge to override the pre-programmed settings. Every time you do, you use more energy and may end up paying more on your energy bill.
- Use a programmable thermostat for each zone of your house if you have multiple heating and cooling zones. This will help you maximize comfort, convenience, and energy savings throughout the house.
- Change your batteries each year if your programmable thermostat runs on batteries. Some units will indicate when batteries must be changed.
Don’t have a programmable thermostat yet? Call Shipley Plumbing, Heating & Cooling to learn more, schedule an installation & start saving today!
previous post: Vacation Prep For Your Home | next post: What Lurks Beneath That Slow Moving Drain
You and your home deserve Ship Shape service from dedicated Maryland plumbers, drain cleaning and home heating and air conditioner repair techs,
Get It Done Today – 301-683-7080.