December 17, 2014
We all have added expenses this time of the year – from buying gifts to preparing feasts and attending holiday get-togethers – the spending adds up! For some of us we look for ways to cut back on other expenses – like heating.
Are you one of the many heating-grinches out there? Grinches that reduce the temperature in your home to a point that you and your guests are cold – all to save a few dollars? Well we have an easier way! Let go of your inner heating-grinch with these 5 easy tips from Consumer Energy Center that will lower your bills while keeping you and your holiday guests warm!
- Set your thermostat to an optimal temperature of 68 degrees.
- Get a heating system tune-up and replace furnace filters as recommended. Dirty filters restrict airflow and increase energy use and keeping your furnace clean, lubricated and properly tuned-up will reduce energy use, saving on heating costs.
- Reduce hot water temperature. Set your water heater to the “normal” setting or 120-degrees.
- Seal up the leaks. Caulk leaks around windows and doors. Look for places where you have pipes, vents or electrical conduits that go through the wall, ceiling or floor. Check the bathroom, underneath the kitchen sink, pipes inside a closet, etc. If you find a gap at the point where the pipe or vents goes through the wall, seal it up.
- For big savings, consider replacing your old gas appliances with an ENERGY STAR® water heater or heating system.
With the easy steps above you will save on heating costs while keeping your family and holiday guests nice and warm…and you’ll be able to keep your inner heating-grinch at bay!
Grinch image courtesy of: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grinch
previous post: Old Farmer’s Almanac’s Winter Predictions | next post: Home Heating System Maintenance Tips
You and your home deserve Ship Shape service from dedicated Maryland plumbers, drain cleaning and home heating and air conditioner repair techs,
Get It Done Today – 301-683-7080.