June 27, 2013
School is out and July 4th is right around the corner. The season of fun-in-the sun has arrived! From all of us here at Shipley Plumbing, Heating and Cooling we wish you and yours a summer filled with family get-togethers, poolside parties, delicious barbeques and relaxing beach days. We also hope that you stay cool and comfortable all summer long.
In addition to having your central air conditioning system tuned up annually to ensure the optimal performance of the system, here are some easy tips from GoodHousekeeping.com to help you and your family stay cool at home all summer long:
- Invest in a programmable thermostat. It can save you up to $180 in energy bills annually. It also allows you to conveniently schedule your cooling system to run whenever you would like it to, enabling you to come home to a cool and comfortable house – even on the hottest of days.
- For optimal comfort and energy savings, set your programmable thermostat at 70 degrees when you are home and 80 degrees when you are not. By not shutting your central a/c off completely when leaving your home you can save money (in many cases it costs more to cool the house back down than maintaining a semi-cool temperature).
- Place all electric devices away from your thermostat. Your thermostat will pick up on the heat from these appliances which may cause it to run your a/c system more often than needed.
- Know when to upgrade your central air system. Newer systems are more efficient, run better, and can save you money. Air conditioning systems that are 12+ years old can be inefficient and can also suffer from costly breakdowns, providing you with less cool air when you need it most. Shipley offers FREE in-home estimates on all air conditioning installations and replacements!
- In-home moisture can add to the feeling of humidity. It’s estimated that 50% of US homes have levels of moisture that are too high. To cut down on this moisture run bathroom fans for at least 20 minutes after taking a shower or bath. For more serious moisture
problems, investing in a dehumidifier is the ultimate solution.
- Create a breeze in any room with a portable fan. Using a fan can make a room feel 8 degrees cooler instantly. But remember to shut these fans off when you leave your house in order to save money on energy bills.
Happy 4th of July and Best Wishes for a Happy and Safe Summer,
Ron Shipley & the Entire
Shipley Plumbing, Heating
and Cooling Family
| next post: How To Change Your HVAC System’s Filter
You and your home deserve Ship Shape service from dedicated Maryland plumbers, drain cleaning and home heating and air conditioner repair techs,
Get It Done Today – 301-683-7080.